Another round of Danish sugar cookies. . . this time hearts for Valentine’s Day.
This is my Grammy Snelling’s recipe and is my favorite. You can use this recipe to make thick and soft cookies with lots of frosting:
How about painted cookies?
Or even slice and bake candy corn cookies.
But my favorite way to make Grammy’s Danish cookies are rolled thin with sprinkles and no frosting:
It’s how Grammy made them :)
DANISH SUGAR COOKIES
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (the dried kind in a jar is fine)
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1 tablespoon cream
1. Cream together the shortening and sugar.
2. Add eggs and whip until light and fluffy.
3. Mix in cream, nutmeg, lemon rind, and baking powder.
4. Stir in flour to make a firm dough.
5. Chill at least 1 hour.
6. Roll thin and cut out with a floured cookie cutter. Use sprinkles now, if not planning to frost them later.
7. Place cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350, 7 minutes for thin cookies- up to 12 minutes for thicker cookies.