Friday, October 18, 2013

Day 18… Homemade Andes Mints


Homemade Andes Mints | Day 18 Make Ahead Holiday Recipes | the Prairie Cottage

I first saw this recipe on I’m Topsy Turvy’s blog a couple years ago and have wanted to try them ever since.  My photos are not nearly as nice as hers, so please click, over to her blog for the full tutorial and recipe :)

The recipe only has a few ingredients.  I used the candy melts from my local Michael's.  I used two bags of dark chocolate and one bag of green for the middle layer.  It was a little difficult to find peppermint oil {not extract}…  The grocery stores, Walmart, Joann’s, and Michaels don’t carry it, but I did finally find it at Hobby Lobby!  Make sure you have the oil based candy flavoring oil and not peppermint extract. 

I followed all of Topsy’s steps and it really was easy.  It took a LOT longer for the layers to turn from glossy to matte than hers did – about 30 minutes.  The layers are stuck together just fine, but we waited to long to cut them into squares.  So the edges aren’t as pretty… oh well.

Freezer Friendly Homemade Andes Mints | Day 18 Make Ahead Holiday Recipes | the Prairie Cottage

It really makes a huge amount of Andes mints!!  I tossed them into the freezer in air tight containers and will have lots to give away over Christmas!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh my. I love these! I'm going to have to give this a try...soon!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love the taste of Andes Mints and would eat this whole bag full if I made them! :)

Thank you for entering the Suave Professioanls(TM) sweepstakes on my blog. Good luck!

Susan said...

I haven't been to many blogs lately and I used to come here all the time. Love your post and I am sorry to see it has been a while since you posted but so glad to see mints. Yum. I may give them a try.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...