Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Homemade Hand Cream

Wanted to share our time-tested recipe for hand cream.  I started making it when my 20-year-old daughter, Lacey, was 2 and had eczema.  Not only was it was a miracle for her skin, but we all loved it and have been using it ever since!

Here us our recipe, so you can make some too.  The original recipe calls for baby lotion.  We have found it works well with any lotion and not just the baby kind.  Just make sure to use the same number of ounces :)

Homemade Hand Cream:

2 (15-16 oz.) baby lotion
8 oz. Vaseline
2 jars (8 oz.) Vitamin E Cream


First, whip the petroleum jelly with a mixer, then add in the remaining ingredients:


Whip until fluffy.


It will look something like this:

I wash and reuse the jars from the vitamin E cream and petroleum jelly (and any other empty jars from creams, butters or lotions that I can find).  Any plastic container with a lid will work just fine.  No need to purchase fancy new jars…. unless you really want to :)


Use a rubber spatula to get every last bit of cream into the jars:


Don’t forget to fill a couple travel size jars to keep with you in your purse. 

It seriously looks like a LOT of hand cream, but we use it so quickly!  There is now only 1 jar left and it will be time to make more soon.  I am going to try using coconut oil instead of petroleum jelly in my next batch… I’ll let you know how it turns out!

10 comments:

illistyle said...

This looks so yummy and I bet it smells great too. The coconut oil will stay solid until it gets over room temp (like 76F) then it begins to liquefy. But if you live in a cool climate you can probably get away with it, at least in the winter, right?

Grey said...

Just what I need with cooler temperatures on the way-And all I need to buy is the Vitamin E--Thank you for the recipe.

Unknown said...

Love this! Thank you for linking up to my Make something Monday party! I've featured you this week! come on by...I'd love to have you link up again this week!

~ Sarah

http://sarahndipities.indiemade.com/blog/make-something-monday-link-party-67

Unknown said...

Hi, this looks absolutely amazing! I was just wondering though what are the numbers for making a much smaller batch than this lol. Thanx :)

Shelley said...

Hi Meghann,

To make a smaller batch, I would just use half the ingredients listed... 1 bottle of lotion (15-16 ounces), 1 (8 ounce) jar of vitamin E cream, and 4 ounces of Vaseline.

Thanks for your comment! Hope you are able to try a batch :)

Karen said...

I make this every yr for the secretary's at church our Pastor thought it was food of some kind and licked the lid. Hehe I don't recommend that

Unknown said...

Can essential oils be added to make a different smell?

Shelley said...

Cassy - Yes, absolutely! They are lovely in the hand cream. Add a few drops at a time, as they can be quite strong.

Lorene B said...

I've made this with the Lavender Baby Lotion for night time and to soothe achy feet and it's wonderful. I also make it with the Honey Apple Baby Lotion and use all over including face and neck. I recently made it with only 1/4 C of coconut oil instead of the vasaline for face and neck and have noticed decrease in puffiness under eyes and wrinkles as well as I love this scent without having to adding essential oils.

Elle said...

I love this! This recipe was given to me by a 90-year-old woman after I commented on how great her feet looked (I'm a nurse).

The first time I made it as written, except that instead of mixing in a mixer, I put the ingredients in a gallon-sized ziplock freezer bag (put the bag in a tall container, fold the top over the edge, and fill the bag). Then I mushed the bag until everything was mixed, cut a tiny corner off one end and piped the cream/lotion into jelly jars to give to staff. They loved it.

The second time I made it, I substituted coconut oil for the Vaseline, and J&J's apple honey baby lotion for the original baby lotion. Many of the staff like this one even better, some even asked to buy it, so I gave them the recipe.





LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...