Monday, August 24, 2009

A Rainbow For A Grand Girl

This is my granddaughter, Skyleigh Claire. Or as I like to call her, my grand girl. While she was here visiting Nan, she celebrated her first birthday! I happened to see this rainbow cake on the Daisy and Pear blog and knew it would be perfect for a first birthday cake. I used my favorite yellow cake and frosting recipes, then followed the excellent directions from Daisy and Pear. It will work just as well using a cake mix and tub frosting.


I made the frosting purple. Skyleigh likes purple :)



Everyone was surprised to see the rainbow hiding under all that purple.

The birthday girl had fun. Turns out, purple is very messy!

She likes it!


A LOT!


YELLOW CAKE
3 cups flour
2.5 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
1.5 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 and 1/4 cups milk

Preheat oven to 375. Sift dry ingredients together and set aside. Beat together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add milk alternating with the dry ingredients, a small amount at a time. Beat after each addition until smooth. (Divide the batter and add your coloring, if making a rainbow cake). Pour batter into greased and floured layer cake pans and bake about 20-25 minutes. Cool and frost.


NOT-TOO-SWEET FROSTING
8 ounces cream cheese
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups whipping cream, whipped

Beat cream cheese, brown sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Fold in whipped cream. You can substitute an 8 ounce Cool Whip for the whipped cream, but it is really better with the cream :)

Posted to Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

14 comments:

by keiara - lampwork beads said...

she is absolutely beautiful! what a little gift! awesome cake.. I just printed out a recipe for rainbow cupcakes over the weekend! great minds ;) thanks for sharing! xox

MadeInCanarias said...

What a cool cake! Seems that she liked it a lot!

Raise Them Up said...

That is a really wild cake! And a beautiful little girl. :) Neat idea!

Unknown said...

I think this cake looks YUMMY!!! and if she likes it so will my grand-daughters. THANKS!!! Geri

Sharon said...

That frosting looks PERFECT...not too sweet and creamy and yummy!! A MUST try!! Thanks for visiting my blog too!! :)

Shelley said...

Hi Sharon- We are devoted frosting-haters around here:) This one is definitely not too sweet and about the only frosting we will actually eat!

SnoWhite said...

what a crazy cake! I love to see not-too-sweet frosting recipes (esp. with cream cheese) because frosting really isn't my thing.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

What a great looking cake. And I love the baby pics!

Cheryl said...

that's definitely purple-y... great pics!

Unknown said...

She is a doll! What a great idea for the cake.I would love to invite you to join me for Crock Pot Wednesday at diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. Please come check it out. Thanks so much for posting.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Love the big "1." We had one of those too. :) Such a pretty cake! Doesn't look like she enjoyed it at all. ;) Thanks for the visit!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

The cake looks great and perfect for the 1 yr party. I am sure the colors were very appealing to her. Your a good Nan!

Moore Minutes said...

What a SWEET little baby!! Love the rainbow cake idea for a 1st party. It looks so fun!

Stacie said...

Messy is the best! and love the rainbow surprise!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...