A few years ago I started making my own olive oil face wash/cleanser. I’ve tweaked the original recipe a few times and now find it almost perfect. :)
Here’s why I LOVE it:
1. It’s very
cheap frugal. You most likely already have the ingredients on hand. If not, it should cost less than $7.00 to make 6-9 months worth of cleanser.
2. It removes makeup. The olive oil naturally removes makeup, even stubborn eye makeup, and you won’t have to buy expensive makeup remover anymore!
3. It’s moisturizing. Traditional cleansers and face washes are formulated to strip skin of its natural oils, leaving your face tight and dry (and requiring you to purchase ample amounts of their moisturizer products).
4. Only 4 ingredients and it’s really easy to make!
1. Olive oil. I’ve been asked if you could use another oil or even coconut oil. I have never tried anything other than olive oil, but if you’d like to experiment, other vegetable oils should work just fine. Coconut oil would make more of a cleansing cream consistency.
2. Glycerin. Glycerin is a humectant, which means it attracts moisture to your skin. It is a natural by-product of the soap making process. (Manufacturers actually remove the glycerin from their soaps, to be used in their more profitable lotions and creams).
3. Liquid face soap. Because I use it to remove eye makeup, I like to use a “tear-free” product such as baby body wash, but you can use any liquid soap that works for your skin.
OLIVE OIL FACIAL CLEANSER
2 teaspoons liquid face soap or baby wash
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons glycerin
1/2 cup olive oil
Clean, empty pump bottle
Pour ingredients into a food processor or blender. Mix until thickened, smooth and creamy.
Use a funnel to pour your face wash into a pump bottle. Isn’t it creamy and rich?!
I quadruple the recipe, to make enough to last at least 6 months. Store any extra face wash in the empty olive oil bottle. It keeps for up to a year.
TO USE: Pump a quarter-size amount of cleanser into your hand. Gently massage into your neck area, face, eyelids and eyelashes for about one minute. Remove with a warm washcloth. Rinse washcloth in warm water and gently remove any remaining dirt or makeup off your face.
EnJoY your smooth and moisturized skin!