Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Candy Corn Cookie Dilemma

I have a problem. 
And it has bothered me a lot. 
I love making candy corn cookies in the fall.  I’ve posted the recipe previously {here}. 
Now, this is not a cause for national alarm and most people don’t even notice, but it KILLS me that all the candy corn don’t look like real candy corn.  Candy corn are supposed to be yellow on the bottom, orange in the center and have a little white tip.  But, when made like my previous instructions say,  they don’t work out in the proper color order.  Every other cookie ends up with a yellow tip and white bottom.    IMG_6515Trivial?  Umm, yeah, but I just could not let it go.  I felt compelled to eat remove the imposters and needed to find a new way of constructing my candy corn!  
Here’s what I did: 
I started with my Grammy’s Danish sugar cookie dough (recipe below or use your favorite sugar cookie recipe).
Divide dough into 3 parts… a little more than half for orange, about one-third for yellow and the smallest amount will be left plain for the tips.  Use gel paste food coloring for the orange and yellow portions and knead it into the dough. 
Now make like it’s Play Doh and form into three “ropes.”  Stack them up in the proper color order :)  Pinch, smooth and coax it into a triangle shape: 
025
Refrigerate until firm.  Lay onto one of the long sides and slice thinly.  I use a thin bread knife.  But try a chef knife if that doesn’t work for you.
023
Dust with sugar or sprinkles.  Or not.  Bake as directed for your recipe. 
See?  Every little tip is white.  And all the bottoms are yellow.  Lovely, no?
028
  The birds are singing, the sun is shining brighter and now all is now right with the world…
029
So rest easy, friends.  I’m here, solving the world’s most pressing problems for you. 
DANISH SUGAR COOKIES
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind (the dried kind in a jar is fine)
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1 tablespoon cream
Cream together the shortening and sugar. Add eggs and whip until light and fluffy. Add cream, nutmeg, lemon rind, and baking powder and mix. Stir in flour to make a firm dough. Chill at least 1 hour. Roll thin and cut out with a floured cookie cutter. Place cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet. If using sprinkles, add them before baking. Bake at 350, 7 minutes for thin cookies- up to 12 minutes for thicker cookies.

5 comments:

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

Those are just so cute.. and I bet they taste even better.

Katalina Jewelry said...

These look yummy! Great solution to the upside down color problem!

Emily said...

What a great (and yummy looking) solution! I just wanted to let you know I featured these on Saw it {Loved it} Sunday over at my blog.

www.mirrorsmetaphorsandkaleidoscopes.blogspot.com

Emily

Mindie Hilton said...

featuring on Thursday at bacon Time :)

Jami @ An Oregon Cottage said...

What a fun fall treat. Thanks for sharing on Well-Made Wednesday!

Jami
An Oregon Cottage

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...